Spanish teams already know their rivals after the 2020/2021 Europa League draw held in Nyon, Switzerland. Real Sociedad will face Manchester United, Granada will play Naples and Villarreal will face Salzburg.
The Europa League round of 32 draw has left top-level pairings. Real Sociedad, Granada and Villarreal already know their rivals, and luck has not been on their side. The first leg matches will be played on February 18, 2021. And the second leg, on February 25, 2021.
Real Sociedad- Manchester United
If in the Champions League the worst stopped has been Barcelona FC, in the Europa League the most complex tie is for Real Sociedad. The Basques will face Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s team on 18 February. Manchester City have been re-caught in the Europa League after being eliminated in the Champions League.
The draw for sixteenths has not been face to face for Granada either. The Andalusian team will face Naples. A historic and emotional match that will have as its background heel Maradona, who recently passed away. Italians start as clear favorites, however, football always surprises.
Of the three Spanish teams, the biggest beneficiary has been Villarreal. Unai Emery’s team will fight for a place in the round of 16 against Salzburg. A priori it is a simple game in which the yellow submarine should not have great difficulties to pass the tie. Salzburg has also been one of the teams played in the Champions League.
Europa League sixteenth pairings
This is how the Europa League 2020/2021 draw looks
- Wolfsberg (AUT) – Tottenham (ENG)
- Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) – Bruges (BEL)
- Real Sociedad (ESP) – Manchester United (ENG)
- Benfica (POR) – Arsenal (ENG)
- Red Star (SRB) – AC Milan (ITA)
- Antwerp (BEL) – Rangers (SCO)
- Slavia Prague (CZE) – Leicester (ENG)
- Salzburg (AUT) – Villarreal (ESP)
- Braga (POR) – Rome (ITA)
- Krasnodar (RUS) – Dynamo Zagreb (CRO)
- Young Boys (SUI) – Leverkusen (GER)
- Mold (NOR) – Hoffenheim (GER)
- Granada (ESP) – Naples (ITA)
- Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) – Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
- LOSC Lille (FRA) – Ajax (NED)
- Olympiacos (GRE) – PSV Eindhoven (NED)